If a Loved One is Killed or Severely Disabled, Can I Sue on Their Behalf?

If your loved one dies as a result of another party’s negligence, you may be able to initiate a claim on their behalf. While your ability to do so will be dependent upon your relationship with the person, it is important that you discuss the matter with an experienced Illinois personal injury lawyer to see if you have any recourse.

Am I Eligible to Initiate a Claim on Behalf of My Deceased Loved One?

The party’s estate is able to initiate a wrongful death claim on their behalf.

  • If the deceased party was married, their spouse can be the executor of their estate.
  • If the person was single, the court may appoint a close relative such as a parent or an adult child.
  • The deceased may have named someone else as the executor of their estate in their will, in which case that individual may be eligible to initiate a claim.

Who Receives Compensation for a Wrongful Death Claim?

If you recover damages as a result of a wrongful death claim on behalf of a deceased loved one, the damages will be distributed amongst the family members based on the relationship with the deceased.

Damages recovered from such a suit:

  • Outstanding medical bills of the deceased
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Loss of earnings for the deceased’s family
  • Love and support

Compensation cannot make up for the loss of life, but it can relieve the financial burdens associated with the death of a loved one, and a capable Illinois personal injury lawyer can help you pursue a claim.

Rubens Kress and Mulholland Concentrates in Personal Injury Law

If your loved one has suffered a fatal personal injury, it is important to seek legal help. The team of Illinois personal injury lawyers at Rubens Kress and Mulholland has a track record of success, and they charge no fee unless you collect. To discuss your legal options, contact Rubens Kress and Mulholland online, at 312-201-9640, or toll-free at 866-890-9640.