Common Problems You May Encounter When Initiating a Workers’ Compensation Claim
Many employees who seek benefits as a result of work-related injuries run into problems when trying to collect workers’ compensation. The fact is that employers and insurance companies may try to minimize or deny your workers’ compensation claim. For this reason, it is important to know your rights and understand these tactics so you can fight them if the need arises.
Below are some of the most common tactics used to deny or minimize your workers’ compensation claim:
- Pressure tactics – Your employers may claim that your injury is either unrelated to your job or that it does not interfere with your ability to perform your job. Remember that injuries “arising out of” your employment can be covered. Consult experienced workers’ compensation attorneys to help you file a claim immediately after the injury.
- Denial – Your employer or their insurance provider may attempt to deny that your injury arose out of your employment. It is important to keep meticulous records whenever possible, including medical records. The more evidence that can be presented in your favor, the stronger your case will be.
- Seeking statements – Your employer may try to pressure you into making a recorded statement, only to use it to contradict you and undermine your credibility at a later date. You should consult your attorney before making a statement of any kind.
- Instructing you to use your health insurance – If an employer tells you to use your personal health insurance for a work-related injury, don’t do it — Illinois law requires your employer or their workers’ compensation insurance company to provide reasonable and necessary medical care for injuries arising out of your employment.
- Threatening to fire you – It is against Illinois law to threaten to terminate an employee for seeking a workers’ compensation claim.
Contact Rubens Kress and Mulholland
It is highly likely that you could encounter problems when initiating a workers’ compensation claim, so it is crucial to have an experienced attorney on your side. Rubens Kress and Mulholland is a law firm concentrating in workers’ compensation. Charging no fee unless you collect, you can count on Rubens Kress and Mulholland to fight hard on your behalf. For more information, contact us online, at (312) 201-9640, or toll-free at (866) 890-9640.