How Do I Give My Employer Notice of My Injury to Seek Workers’ Compensation Benefits in Illinois?

person filling out a work injury claim formIf you have suffered an injury while at your place of employment, it is vital to receive immediate medical attention for your injuries. Under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, the injured worker is generally able to choose his or her own doctor to treat the injury, though your employer may also send you to a doctor of their choosing for an examination (not for treatment).

It is extremely important to find an experienced Chicago workers’ compensation attorney as early in the process as possible. Rubens Kress and Mulholland is a Chicago law firm with ample experience advocating on behalf of injured workers.

Official Notice of Injury

To initiate a workers’ compensation claim, Illinois law requires that an injured worker notify his or her employer of the injury within 45 days of the injury’s occurrence. It is best to seek legal representation before initiating the claim.

When you provide notice of the injury to your employer, the notice, although not required, should be in writing. You can provide the written notice to your boss or supervisor, and you should make sure you keep a copy of the written notice.

Contact Rubens Kress and Mulholland to Speak With a Chicago Workers’ Compensation Attorney

If you have been injured while at work, it is important to take immediate action to preserve a potential workers’ compensation claim. Rubens Kress and Mulholland is a Chicago law firm concentrating in workers’ compensation cases, and we have a track record of success.

We charge no fee unless you collect, and we are committed to getting you the compensation you deserve. To learn more about your legal options and to discuss your situation with a Chicago workers’ compensation attorney, please do not hesitate to contact Rubens Kress and Mulholland online, at (312) 201-9640, or toll-free at (866) 890-9640.