What If I am Hit by a Car While on Foot?
Most car accidents in Chicago and in other cities concern car-on-car accidents. While it is significantly less common for a vehicle to hit a pedestrian, it does happen, and the injuries in such cases are often serious. As with other personal injury cases, you do have legal recourse. The first thing to do is seek medical attention — after that, you should hire a Chicago car accident lawyer.
It is important to note that your ability to seek compensation will depend on whether the accident was primarily a result of driver error or pedestrian error. What follows are some situations that could play a role in determining liability. It’s important to note that these situations can’t be used to assign liability in a cut-and-dry fashion — every case is different, and these behaviors can carry varying weight depending on the exact circumstances.
Situations that could limit your ability to seek compensation from being hit by a car while on foot include:
- Ignoring Traffic Controls – If you try to cross the road while traffic is coming and there is a “don’t walk” signal, it is significantly less likely that, if you are struck by a vehicle, liability for an injury will be placed upon the driver.
- Jaywalking – While this may not completely eliminate the possibility of receiving compensation for a car-related injury, crossing the road at an inappropriate or unexpected location puts you at a much greater risk of injury.
- Walking on a Limited Access Highway – It is dangerous to walk on a highway, and you should absolutely not do it unless it is unavoidable (such as if your vehicle breaks down).
Some situations that may help a Chicago car accident lawyer get you compensation for your injuries include instances where a drivers has done one of the following:
- Disregarding a Crosswalk – Drivers who do not pay attention to crosswalks create a significant risk of injury for pedestrians.
- Ignoring Traffic Controls – Just as ignoring traffic controls can adversely affect a pedestrian’s ability to seek compensation, ignoring traffic controls will almost certainly damage a driver’s ability to avoid liability.
- Driving While Intoxicated – Driving drunk creates a tremendous risk of injury to both pedestrians and other drivers.
Rubens and Kress Can Help You Get Compensation
If you have been injured by a vehicle while on foot, you should seek compensation with an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer on your side. When you choose Rubens and Kress, there is no fee unless you collect — to learn about your options, contact Rubens and Kress online, at (312) 201-9640, or toll-free at (866) 890-9640.