Consult an Attorney

How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim in Illinois?

How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim in Illinois?

Category: Claims - Personal Injury

If you have suffered an injury or injuries caused by the negligence of a third party in Illinois, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related expenses by filing a personal injury claim. How do I file a personal injury claim in Illinois, you may wonder? The personal injury claims process is often complex and not easy for an individual handling their case alone, so the recommended first step is to hire a personal injury lawyer. An experienced attorney can analyze the finer details of your case and advise you throughout the personal injury claims process to help you see the most favorable outcome possible.

You can contact Rubens & Mulholland to request a consultation with one of our Chicago-based personal injury attorneys and start your claim today. In the meantime, those looking to gain some insight into the process of filing a personal injury claim can read our overview below.

Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Illinois: Where Do I File?

You have the option of filing a personal injury claim with one of 24 Illinois circuit courts. Your claim must be filed in the county where the court has proper jurisdiction — this is a point you should discuss in detail with your attorney, as the location of a lawsuit can have a significant impact on certain issues that may arise throughout your case.

Prep Work for Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Illinois

When you retain an attorney in a personal injury lawsuit your lawyer will send a lien to the Insurance Company or the defendant. Once you are done with medical treatment, your attorney will gather your records along with proof of any other damage such as lost wages and submit them with a monetary demand. The insurance company may accept liability or deny liability. They will always dispute the nature of your injuries. If the parties are able to come to a settlement, the case is disposed of. If the parties cannot agree on a settlement, then a lawsuit must be filed.

Consult Rubens & Mulholland Today

Searching for an experienced lawyer in the Chicago area to represent you in a personal injury case? Call Rubens & Mulholland toll-free today at 866-890-9640 to start a case review. Our team of attorneys is passionate about fighting to help victims of third-party negligence receive the compensation they’re entitled to. Take a moment to view our extensive record of settlement amounts and cases won to see how we have helped and supported other victims throughout Illinois to get the settlement they deserved.

< Back to all posts